14.11.11

Winter 2011-12 Reading List

Winter approaches and I've decided to (mostly) dedicate the next few months to reading tons of children's books, some of which I've been meaning to read for the longest time, but haven't gotten around to do so. They say there's not time like the present, and so I figured I should get to it and just read those wonderful little books. I just finished reading the whole of A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket (expect a review soon-ish), which was on my list, and after a trip to the library I am now on the way to accomplish my goal.

Here are some children's books (but not all) that I plan to read this Winter:


  • The Moomins series (9 books), by Tove Jansson (see my pinterest Moomin/Tove Jannsson board)
  • The Sisters Grimm series (#4~8), by Michael Buckley
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain #1), by Lloyd Alexander
  • The Borrowers, by Mary Norton
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles #2), by Joan Aiken


  • Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell
  • Dealing With Dragons (Enchanted Forest #1), by Patricia C. Wrede
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society series (3 books), by Trenton Lee Stewart
  • The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth Goudge
  • The Folk Keeper, by Franny Billinsley

  • Swallows & Amazons, by Arthur Ransome
  • The Children of Green Knowe, by L. M. Boston
  • The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2), by Maryrose Wood
  • Mary Poppins, by P. L. Travers
  • Wildwood, by Colin Meloy
And more! See the whole list (ever growing) HERE
What are you favorite children books? What do you recommend?

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE A Series of Unfortunate Events! Lemony Snicket has been such a huge role model for my own writing. I also loved The Mysterious Benedict Society; I'm sure you will too.

    Are you familiar with Cornelia Funke? Inkheart, The Thief Lord, Dragon Rider. You should read them if you haven't. Also, The Spiderwick Chronicles, The Golden Compass and The Chronicles of Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some really good ones here! I agree with B, The Mysterious Benedict Society is simply fabulous.

    I've been planning on reading Black Hearts in Battersea too, since the first is a childhood favourite and the third is waiting to be read on my shelf.

    My sister loves The Moomins series! I really need to read them...

    (P.S. I'm glad to see you back!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you have a wonderful list here! I personally love the moomin series (greetings from their homeland :)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're going to read Island of the Blue Dolphins! That was something that teachers loved and made us read over and over in elementary school, and it's actually quite good.

    Let me know how The Little White Horse is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished the Mysterious Benedict Society and it was really good! So enjoying! Now I want to buy the next two books! And I have Wildwood in my list too! (Carson Ellis illustrated this too!)

    I'm a bit attracted to Black Hearts in Battersea now that I saw it in your list,maybe because of the beautiful cover!


    Maybe I'll read The Lion,the Witch and the Wardrobe again this christmas, this story always comes with winter and christmas!
    I also want to read Inheritance (Eragon #4) and many others,my list is always growing and I can't decide what to read first! :D

    ReplyDelete